On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 5:16 PM, Aaron S. Meurer<asmeu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yep.  It is definitely faster:
>
> $ time ./bin/test
> <testing>
> real    8m18.517s
> user    4m6.898s
> sys     0m4.019s
> $ time python t.py (with ipcluster local -n 2)
> <testing>
> real    5m31.959s
> user    0m0.602s
> sys     0m0.290s
> $ time python t.py (with ipcluster local -n 4)
> <testing>
> real    4m30.470s
> user    0m0.494s
> sys     0m0.227s
> $ time python t.py (with ipcluster local -n 8)
> <testing>
> real    6m0.355s
> user    0m0.654s
> sys     0m0.229s
>
> I only have 2 cores, but I think it benefits from having more threads
> anyway.  I think I can see what you mean with the 8 threads though.  I
> will need to find a process manager for the Mac that lets you view
> what different threads are doing and on what cores.  htop is Linux only.

If you want an access on 8 cores linux machine, send me your public
ssh key offlist.

What happens there is that after about 10s, all cores are done and are
waiting about 30s for one core to finish. So we need some way to
automatically distribute the work on the nodes. Actually, maybe
ipython has some feature for this too (load balancing).

Ondrej