Hi,

We've run into a problem with odd and (to us) unpredictable failures
in nosetests when using Sympy and we would be very grateful for any
advice. When running nosetests on the individual file, there are no
problems, but
the problems emerge when running the entire test suite.

We are wondering if we've run into the same kinds of problems referred to
here:

http://code.google.com/p/sympy/issues/detail?id=635

In our code we have have a subclass of Symbol:

> somewhere.py
> ---------------------
>
> class MySymbol(sympy.Symbol):
>
>    def __new__ etc.

We import this in some modules, let's say

> module1.py
> -----------------
>
> from somewhere import MySymbol
>
> i = MySymbol('i')
>
> module2.py
> -----------------
>
> from somewhere import MySymbol
>
> i = MySymbol('i')

but then - in our nosetests we run into problems of the following form:

> downstream.py
> ----------------------
>
> from module1 import i as i1
> from module2 import i as i2
> from somewhere import MySymbol
>
> assert(i1 != i2) # sometimes in nosetests
> assert(i1 == i2) # sometimes in nosetests
> assert(i1 == MySymbol('i')) # sometimes in nosetests
> assert(i2 == MySymbol('i')) # in some other nosetests
>
> But, we can't say for sure anything about the import order above because
it's in nose and can't reliably predict
> which assertions pass and which fail. These assertions would actually come
from
> generators that yield tests for nose.

You can see the changes we found we had to make to 'fix' our failing
test, with some comments on our confusion here:

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~nipy-developers/nipy/trunk/revision/1799<http://bazaar.launchpad.net/%7Enipy-developers/nipy/trunk/revision/1799>

Thanks for any help,

Jonathan Taylor

--