On Dec 21, 2009, at 9:16 AM, Sebastian Haase wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 5:04 PM, Vinzent Steinberg
> <vinzent.steinb...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> On Dec 21, 10:04 am, Sebastian Haase <seb.ha...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> Congratulations to the new release!
>>>
>>> After a quick setup.py install on my amd64 Debian I have a few
>>> comments - found maybe a bug:
>>>
>>> I have a ~/.pydistutils.cfg file:
>>> sha...@iris:~/qq/sympy-0.6.6: cat ~/.pydistutils.cfg
>>> [install]
>>> #install_lib = ~/sebPy/py-lib
>>> install_lib = ~/sebPy/lib
>>> install_scripts = ~/sebPy/bin
>>>
>>> but I get this error message at the very end of setup.py install:
>>> running install_data
>>> copying doc/man/isympy.1 -> /usr/share/man/man1
>>> error: /usr/share/man/man1/isympy.1: Permission denied
>>>
>>> is this a bug  or a miss-configuaration on my side !?
>>>
>>> Also I noticed that sympy installs into the bin directory (besides isympy):
>>> ~/sebPy/bin/test
>>> ~/sebPy/bin/doctest
>>>
>>> Are those quite "generic" names for a (global) bin directory !?
>>
>> I don't know whether custom installation directories ever worked, and
>> I never tried it. Possible that it's just broken for a long time.
>>
>> You might have a look at our setup.py, I don't know if we do something
>> wrong. Actually it's up to distutils to install into the correct
>> directory.
>
> The last point was more referring to the (non custom) installation of
> bin files named "test" and "doctest" - which seems like a very generic
> name, i.e. how about sympy_test, and sympy_doctest !?
>
> -S.

Not only are they installed, but they don't even work:

Aaron-Meurer:~ aaronmeurer$doctest
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/bin/doctest", line
17, in <module>
    from get_sympy import path_hack
ImportError: No module named get_sympy
Aaron-Meurer:~ aaronmeurer$cd
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/bin/
Aaron-Meurer:bin aaronmeurer$./test
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./test", line 14, in <module>
    from get_sympy import path_hack