Hi all,

After a discussion on IRC I am interested if there is any way to evaluate sums
of the form:

>>> B = [ Symbols, expressions, ... ]
>>> Sum(n*B[n]*Sqrt(B[n]), (n, 0, len(b)-1))

I ask because the project I am currently working on is based heavily around
sums of this form:
sum(sum(sum(sum(B[i]*A[i,j]*A[j,k]*A[k,l]*C[l],l,1,s),k,1,s),j,1,s),i,1,s) =
1/120

where s, A[i,j] (matrix) and C[i] (vector) are evaluate to Real numbers with
just B[i] being Symbols (so the result of the above expression is an equation
of the form x1*B[1] + x2*B[2] + ... + xn*B[n] with xn being Reals (of course in
Python the indices would be slightly different).

Can anyone think of a clean way to evaluate these sorts of sums? (Extra points
if you know where such sums arise in practise ;)

Currently my workflow is:
1) Use Python to generate the sums;
2) Evaluate using Maxima;
3) Paste back into a Python script, parse with regex, solve.

Polemically yours, Freddie.