On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 9:59 PM, Aaron S. Meurer <asmeu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The None is essentially inert substitution, so maybe it should work like
> Integral(f(x), x)(y).  I'd like to get the same syntax working for
> f(x).diff(x)(y) to mean f'(y) (the derivative of f evaluated at y) as per
> issue 1620.
>
> By the way, I implemented this to allow general case solutions from dsolve(),
> for example (from the docstring of ode.ode_separable):

I see. I think a better way is to implement the proper substitution in
derivatives (resp. evaluation of the derivative at a point), and the
same for integrals, but I think you can just use

integrate(f(y), (y, a, x))

to represent a primitive function, where "a" is a constant.

Btw, maybe someone can correct me, but in my experience, it seems that
definite integrals is all that is needed, all the primitive functions
are just use in calculus classes, but otherwise it's imho better to
use definite integrals.

Ondrej