Hi Aditya,

I'm fairly new to SymPy as well (just submitted my first patch earlier
this
week), but I found the User's Guide [1] and Patches Tutorial [2] very
helpful
for getting started.  You'll first want to make sure that you have
git
installed and, if you haven't already done so, clone the master repo
with
"git clone git://git.sympy.org/sympy.git".  There are plenty of
outstanding
issues to work on, like #834 [3]; the issue tracker lists many more
[4] that
haven't had much attention yet.

Also, it's great to hang out in the IRC channel (#sympy on freenode),
even if
you don't have a pressing question.  You'll probably be able to find
Aaron
Meurer in there, and his answers helped me a great deal in figuring
out what I
was supposed to be doing in git.  I'd also be happy to lend you
whatever help
I can.

Thanks for your interest!

 - Kazuo