Hi,

Christian has done a really awesome job and made almost all tests pass in his remove assumptions branch, and I have squashed my commits a little bit:

git://github.com/certik/sympy.git remove_assumptions

I did some tests and so far it got faster (!) for simple arithmetics (as I hoped). This is awesome. Try for example this script:

from timeit import default_timer as clock
from sympy import var
var("x y z")
a = (x+y+z+1)**20
c = clock()
b = a.expand()
c = clock() - c
print c

and then run it on master:

ond...@raven:~/repos/sympy(master)$ python a.py
1.28675508499
ond...@raven:~/repos/sympy(master)$ python a.py
1.28236508369
ond...@raven:~/repos/sympy(master)$ python a.py
1.28870820999
ond...@raven:~/repos/sympy(master)$ python a.py
1.27885198593

and on the remove_assumptions branch:

ond...@raven:~/repos/sympy(remove_assumptions)$ python a.py
1.12974405289
ond...@raven:~/repos/sympy(remove_assumptions)$ python a.py
1.12417292595
ond...@raven:~/repos/sympy(remove_assumptions)$ python a.py
1.15522003174
ond...@raven:~/repos/sympy(remove_assumptions)$ python a.py
1.12961602211

So this is great news. We started this a little back with older master, so we need to rebase this on top of the latest master, and then fix some remaining little (?) problems with caching, which is causing some tests to run too long. I think we should try to remove caching completely, I think it just slows things down in most cases (according to my experience), but we'll see.

After this gets in, we'll try to get in our cythonized core, this should bring huge speedups.

Ondrej