I wouldn't spend too much time on this right now.  Once Matt and
Addisons quantum GSoC stuff is merged into trunk, there will be an
entirely new and more formal way of handling all of these things.  We
thought quite a bit about how to handle physical parameters of a
system and I think we have a good design that makes sense for all
systems.  It would be great if you could help us code review all their
stuff when it pops up later today for review.

Cheers,

Brian

On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 5:09 PM, Øyvind Jensen <jensen.oyv...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 13 Aug, 18:56, Ondrej Certik <ond...@certik.cz> wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 1:30 AM, Øyvind Jensen <jensen.oyv...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>> > Yeah.  But the energy function would take arguments (n, l, hw), so for
>> > consistency, maybe I should change R_nl to take one more argument:  (n,
>> > l, hw, mass, r) instead of (n, l, nu, r)?
>>
>> I think I agree with Brian (see sympy-patches) that we should just use
>> atomic units.
>>
>> So in this spirit, mass=1, h=1, so you only have "omega".
>>

> I agree that we should go for dimensionless, but is it necessary to
> specialize the vocabulary to atomic physics/chemistry?.  For hydrogen
> a.u. are well suited, of course, but I thought harmonic oscillators
> would usually be described in terms of 'hw'.  It is not so important,
> as it applies only to the vocabulary in the docstring, not to the
> implementation. What do you think about the docstrings here:
>
> http://github.com/jegerjensen/sympy/blob/sho2/sympy/physics/sho.py
>
> I'll change them if that is decided, but imho to remove hbar and m
> from the discussion is not an improvement.
>
> Øyvind
>
>> Ondrej

Brian E. Granger, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Physics