On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 9:57 AM, Scott <spectre...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone!
>
> I'm trying to do an integration of a large polynomial.  Though it is
> large, it should be a pretty simple integration (simple/linear terms
> if it is fully expanded).  I've run this exact polynomial through
> maxima and it computes the output extremely quick (and evern longer
> polynomial).  But when I use sympy (which I prefer to maxima), the
> program runs for 30-45 min before it runs out of memory and I get a
> memory error (4 GB of ram).
>
> I also tried to through in a few (or many) "sympy.cache.clear_cache()"
> statements in hopes that it would help, but it doesn't.  I tried
> printing some statements throughout the operations to see where it got
> stuck.  It gets stuck on the first integration and the order of
> integration (r, s, w) doesn't change the results.  So I get the
> message "Point 2", but never see "Point 3" before it crashes (see code
> below).

Let's keep improving this gist.

http://gist.github.com/611924

As a first step, let's agree on the polynomial. If you run this gist, you get:

Start
Point 1
expand
<class 'sympy.core.mul.Mul'>

so the polynomial is actually not a polynomial. How did you get this
"polynomial"? Can you rewrite it, so that you get an instance of
Add()? I tried to expand it, but it took forever.

After you have an instance of Add() (which every  polynomial should
be, right?), then we'll see how to integrate it. I am sure it will be
fast, if not, you can help it by integrating term by term by hand,
just like you did for chopping off the terms.

Ondrej