Well, what does a print statement before the failing line give?   I
saw something like this once where a test was converting sets to
lists, then comparing them, assuming that the ordering would be
canonical, at least across runs, but it turned out that it wasn't even
that.  Actually, did we ever fix that?  It was somewhere in the matrix
tests.

Aaron Meurer