On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 11:59 AM, Ronan Lamy <ronan.l...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Running 'python bin/sympy_time.py', I realised that importing sympy
> pulls in a lot of stuff that are irrelevant to an end user, like pdb,
> doctest or py.test. Fixing this simply requires removing the imports of
> runtests and pytest from sympy/utilities/__init.py and importing those
> modules explicitly where they are required.

This should be done.

> More generally, I've often been annoyed by the fact that it's impossible
> to import only part of sympy and by the sheer amount of bloat in the
> sympy namespace (len(dir(sympy)) == 497), so I'd rather like that we
> start exercising some restraint in what we put in the "__init__.py"s.

Yes, definitely.

> What do you think?

I think that the main "sympy" module should provide some reasonable
set of tools, right away. Maybe we can remove some things from the
global namespace into modules.

For specialized things, one should import things explicitly. For
example the physics quantum code needs to be imported from
sympy.physics.hydrogen and so on.

Ondrej