Hi Omar,

It is extremely cool that you want to work on this, don't hesitate to
ask if you encounter any difficulties!  When you start hacking, it would
be very cool if you upload early and regularly to github.  I'd be very
interested in your work!  I've got some suggestions based on stuff I was
struggling with during the summer.

I agree that the best way to improve it, is to implement printing of Sum
objects.  However, implicit summation is powerful, so it would be great
if we can keep the implicit summation stuff, while adding the code
printing of Sum objects.  To do that, I think we need to improve the
Indexed classes as well, as there may be a conflict between the implicit
and explicit summation conventions.

The current Indexed, Idx and IndexedBase classes behave like indexed
tensors in the sense that,

   A[i] == A[j] .

The indices label the same axis, no matter what you call the index.
This is in contrast to indexed symbols that represent elements.  For
elements i and j of a vector A, the general relation is that

   A[i] /= A[j] .

In order to implement printing of Sum objects, it is the element
interpretation that must be represented in the Sympy expression tree.
Perhaps you need to introduce a new class to represent the scalar
elements?  If you do that I'd suggest that they should also be created
from IndexedBase, e.g. something like

>>> i, j = symbols('i j', dimension=N, integer=True)
>>> A = IndexedBase('A')
IndexedElement(A, i, j)

If IndexedBase.__getitem__ checks whether the indices are Idx or Symbol,
it can decide whether to return Indexed (like today) or IndexedElement.
I've had plans along this direction for a while, and if you think it
will work for you, I'd say you shouldn't hesitate to implement it.

Cheers,
Øyvind

PS! Cool project!