On Mar 18, 2011, at 4:18 AM, Alexey U. Gudchenko wrote:

>> It is sin(x), not sin(x)/x that has the problem. This continues to oscillate
>> between `+/-1` regardless of how large x becomes.
>>

> According strict mathematical definition of limits at infinity limit in this
> case is not exists.
>
> But, the nature aim of "limit" is the answer what is the behavior of function
> in infinity.
> So the question is only to determine the way how to tell to the user that
> sin(x) has arbitary value in range [-1, 1].
>
> I offer split into steps of realization:
>
> 1. If limit is not exist then return Non or something else
> It is requirement.
>
> 2. If it is possible to known range ([-1, 1]) as in the sin(x) at oo example,
> then return it.
> But it is enchantment.
>

> --
> Alexey U.

I agree that returning nan is better than raising an error.  As to returning
the range, I think it requires some more thought.  If limit() return a Set
object instead of an expression, then that might break a lot of things that
expect an expression.  Also, there are some other questions:

- How exactly are we defining the set returned.  Is it a tight bound set as the
function goes to infinity, or is it just the closed set [lim inf f(x), lim sup
f(x)]?  The two are the same if the function is continuous, but for a
counterexample, consider a combination of two of the functions discussed in
this thread, abs(sin(x))/sin(x).  This function takes on values of 1 and −1
forever to infinity. Would limit(abs(sin(x))/sin(x)) return [-1, 1] or set([-1,
1])?

- Are there any algorithms to compute these things?

- What does the interface look like?