On Mar 19, 2011, at 2:01 AM, Tim Lahey wrote:

> On 03-19-2011, at 3:48 AM, Aaron S. Meurer wrote:
>
>> On Mar 19, 2011, at 12:30 AM, Tim Lahey wrote:
>>

>>> My thought would be to create a new module for calculus of variations
>>> (probably called calcvar) and put it under that. That way, more can be
>>> added to it and I can't really see a current module (other than possibly
>>> physics) that it fits in. I've forked the main repository, so I'll see
>>> about doing this.
>>>

>> What other things would eventually go in the module?
>>

> Well, there are various tests that could go in the module. That's what's in
> the Maple Calculus of Variations package. What I'd like to see is the ability
> to take a variation. I've implemented something simple along these lines in
> Maple already. It's not particularly robust at the moment though.

I'm not sure if I understand what you mean by "tests".

>> It definitely shouldn't go in physics, since calculus of variations is
>> useful to more than just physics!
>
> I agree. The only other place it kind of fits is the integrals module, but
> that's not really right since the Euler-Lagrange equation is a differential
> equation, not an integral. I find the naming of that module somewhat
> unfortunate since I'd rather see a calculus module with integrals, ODEs, and
> PDEs in it. If that was the case, I'd put the calculus of variations stuff in
> there.

It actually makes sense to me to have all the solvers together (solvers, ode,
pde, recur, etc.).

integrals does indeed deserve its own module, because it will get very large as
more and more of the integration algorithm is implemented.

Anyway, where do you think it should go given the way things are?  I don't have
any ideas.

Aaron Meurer