On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 1:49 PM, Andy Ray Terrel <andy.ter...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 1:12 PM, Mateusz Paprocki <matt...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 22 May 2011 18:17, Aaron S. Meurer <asmeu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Is it possible to implement x*y*z as reduce(operator.mul, [x, y, z])?
>>
>> It works:
>> In [2]: import operator
>> In [3]: reduce(operator.mul, [x, y, z])
>> Out[3]: x⋅y⋅z
>> In [4]: type(_)
>> Out[4]: <class 'sympy.core.mul.Mul'>
>> but I wouldn't use it on large examples because it takes O(n**2) steps to
>> canonicalize the inputs (similar problem with sum([x,y,z]), we have even an
>> issue open for this).
>>

> Yes this was my fear. Maybe Ronan's comment on the double dispatch
> will work better.

Just to be clear, the problem is not so much when the class Mul calls
the Mul constructor but when other classes (like Add or simplify) call
Mul directly instead of the operators.  The style in sympy seems to
prefer this to using the algebraic operators. These calls will
basically always route around *any* dispatch system unless it is tied
into the expression constructors.

One solution would be to have _op_priority checked inside the
constructor, that way the canonicalization could remain O(n) but the
correct constructor could then be called.  Mul's internals could call a
private constructor to side step check every call.

-- Andy