You should submit a pull request only if you feel that your code is ready to be
merged in.  So 2.

If you just want feedback, you can write to the list with a link to your branch
on GitHub.  It's even possible for people to leave comments on lines of code
without you creating a pull request.  You can also create an issue in the issue
tracker and put a link to your branch there.

Aaron Meurer