On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 6:55 AM, Ondrej Certik <ond...@certik.cz> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have noticed the tox.ini.sample in the root directory and also read:
>
> http://vperic.blogspot.com/2011/05/continuous-integration-and-sympy.html
>
> I have two questions:
>
> 1) Wouldn't it make sense to move the tox.ini.sample into some
> directory, maybe bin/? I think that most users will just do
> "./setup.py test", and that's it. tox.ini is only for small fraction
> of people using sympy, so I think it should not be in the root
> directory.

While this might be true, tox.ini needs to be in the same directory as
setup.py. I suppose we could move the sample somewhere else and instruct the
user to copy it to where setup.py is, but I don't see any real advantages to
this (one file is not too much clutter).

> 2) Should I try to install it on my server to run it automatically?
> How should we report the results?

Right, this is something I wanted to discuss with you (I mentioned it on the
bug report[0], but I guess you missed it). In short, Tox integrates pretty
well with Jenkins (see [1]). The basic setup took about 15mins. Now, there
are two things that I'd like to improve on:

a) Have it pull every new pull request and test it. This isn't possible
right now, but we could write something similar to SymPy-bot for the pulling
part. This is where I'd appreciate your help.

b) Support JUnitXML in our testing tools to allow for prettier output (the
easiest option here is to switch back to using py.test). This is on my
plate, but as it's not critical I'd leave it until we've got working Python
3 support.

[0] http://code.google.com/p/sympy/issues/detail?id=1117#c24

[1] http://tox.testrun.org/en/latest/example/jenkins.html

> Ondrej