Matthew, I agree that the x + 0.0 case should be treated the same as 1.0 *
x.
I think that the Reals/floats should never automatically (outside of
possible internal routines) be converted to exact numbers.
What happens if you're doing a machine precision calculation that
occasionally reaches exactly 1.0 then gets converted to a slower exact
arithmetic?
I think that the mathematica convention (see below) is the correct one.

IPython console for SymPy 0.7.0-git (Python 2.7.1-64-bit) (ground types:
python)

In [1]: 1.0 * x
Out[1]: 1.0⋅x

In [2]: x + 0.0