On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 12:40 AM, Roberto Colistete Jr.
<roberto.colist...@gmail.com> wrote:
>   Hi,
>
>   I have not found a simple way to map a function to a mathematical
> expression with sum of items. Is there anything simple to do it ? I
> was thinking it would be simples, like "map(expand,expr)" but it
> doesn't work.
>
>   In the meantime, I have solved this issue with the code :
>
> def mapexpr(self,expr,func):
>     if isinstance(expr,Add):
>         return apply(Add,map(func,expr.args))
>     else:
>          return func(expr)

It sounds like you want to apply the function term-wise. What you have
written above can be simplified to

    def map_termwise(func, expr):
        return Add(*[func(a) for a in Add.make_args(expr)])

There is also a Mul.make_args. Both Add and Mul make_args methods
interpret the expr as an Add or Mul, respectively.