Sherjil was talking about giving SymPy matrices an underlying data type. I
wonder if Python float was one of the proposed data types.

My understanding is though that once any python number interacts with a
SymPy number it automatically becomes a SymPy number thus ruining the chance
for investigating floating point arithmetic alongside any SymPy Expr object.
This may make what you're trying to do difficult.

I'm not sure what you're trying to do but if you're investigating floating
point you could look into using exact arithmetic and representing the
floating point errors symbolically - i.e. x = x' * (1+delta) with delta the
size of machine precision.