It seems that the term 'pattern match' is overloaded here.
The existing pattern matching in sympy appears to match at the
mathematical level:
  >>> p = Wild('p')
  >>> print (x+1).match(x+p)
  {p_: 1}

That is, it returns the value that makes the patterned expression
true.

The code I've written is for matching the underlying expression tree,
and is supposed to help with transforming the sympy expression trees
into other formats.
Example:
    e = x + 1
    m = Match(e)
    v = AutoVar()
    if m(Add, v.e1, v.e2):
        # use v.e1 and v.e2

    # Nested match
    if m(Add, (Mul, S.NegativeOne, v.e1), v.e2):
        # use v.e1 and v.e2

I don't see that these two ideas could be combined (unless I'm missing
something ...)
Perhaps it would be clearer to rename the second idea to something
like 'expression_tree_match'?

Mark