Hi Stefan,

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 12:54 PM, krastanov.ste...@gmail.com
<krastanov.ste...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The visual examples are in test.py in the root (the file will be
> deleted/moved if there is ever a version for merging)- it's meant for copy
> pasting or interactive shell, so you can see how it works.
>
> About the differences: The code in newplot is just a *simplified* interface
> to whichever backend you choose (eg matplotlib, textplot, google chart api,
> the current plotting module, etc). Only textplot and matplotlib backends are
> present (and they are fairly simple).
>
> The *only* advantage of using this code instead directly one of the backends
> it's that you have simplified interface for all of the common tasks
> (including for example coloring as a function of parameters). For
> complicated stuff you can directly access the backend.
>
> So instead of typing
>
> x_points = range(N_points)/float(step)
> y_points = [(x**2).eval(subs={x : point}) for point in x_points]
> do_whatever_you_need_to_do_to_use_THE_CHOSEN_BACKEND()
>
> you write
>
> p = Plot(x**2,x,start,end)
> p.backend = THE_CHOSEN_BACKEND.

I would suggest to use:

p = Plot(x**2, (x, start, end))

to be compatible with integrate and other parts in SymPy.

I mentioned this patch to Aaron at the Google Mentor Summit, but
unfortunately we didn't have time to look into it there. It is very
important to improve the plotting support, so many thanks for the
initiative. I'll try to review this soon and provide suggestions.

Ondrej