On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 11:12 AM, Luke <hazelnu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Do you mean in my solution that involves differential equations?

Yes (assumedly the solution will be the same no matter what method you
use to derive it, so long as you always make the "small angles"
approximation).

> I think this dimensional analysis approach may have merit, I just need
> to see all the steps and make sure they can all be justified without
> referencing a differential equation.
>
> ~Luke

Perhaps this would be easier to see (at least for someone like me who
doesn't remember this particular part of physics very well) if you
added explicit dimensions to all the numbers in your derivation.  It's
hard to tell which "1's" are really unit-ed.

And by the way, I'm still convinced that the "trick" involves deriving
it geometrically somehow, although in my experience, dimensional
analysis is a favorite among the types who like to use little tricks
to derive things.

Aaron Meurer