On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 3:08 PM, Ronan Lamy <ronan.l...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Le mercredi 23 novembre 2011 à 12:28 -0800, Eric Thoma a écrit :
>> Thanks for the reply. I will add the init_printing() to the top of the
>> files for the examples. I plan to include a section detailing the
>> pretty printing capabilities.
>
> I'm not sure that expanding the article in that way is such a good idea,
> I think it would count as "original
> research" [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:OR]. The one thing the
> article is obviously missing is "reliable
> sources" [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:RS]: as it is, it's not
> unlikely that it would get deleted should the issue be raised.

I see what you mean.  Actually, if you look at the history, most of
the article was written by Ondřej some time ago.

On the other hand, I think that as long as the docs, source code, etc.
are cited, it should be OK. This is easily verifiable research.  It's
not like making some claim about median household income.  In that
case, someone can't just go and try to verify it manually, because
they don't have access to that data.  But for SymPy, someone can
easily check that, e.g., the syntax for integrate is integrate(expr,
(var, lower_limit, upper_limit)).  It's kind of like the WIkipedia
articles for mathematical concepts.  If you write a proof, you should
cite it if you take it from somewhere, but it's OK also to write your
own proof.  It's easily verifiable without any sources.

Also, we could add sources from
https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/SymPy-Papers (if that page had
anything ;).

But suppose that there were no scholarly papers on SymPy. How else
could you have a Wikipedia article for it, other than by citing the
docs and source code?