On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 12:11 PM, Comer <comer.dun...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a question about what might be getting in the way of
> successfully using ipython 0.12.  I have installed in in /usr/local.
> When I run it I get the complaint that SQLite is required, esle
> ipython history won't be saved.  What do you install to get sqlite? I
> have tried pysqlite-2.6.3 as it appears to be the most recent.
> However, this does not seem to work with ipython as I had hoped. From
> what I can tell by looking at some issues people have had pysqlite 2.6
> is claimed to already be in Python 2.7.  However, when I try to import
> sqlite3, it is not found.  Can someone suggest a workaround?

How did you compile Python 2.7? On my Ubuntu 11.10:

$ python
Python 2.7.2+ (default, Oct  4 2011, 20:06:09)
[GCC 4.6.1] on linux2
>>> import sqlite3

so it works. If it is not in your Python, it means that the Python was
not compiled with sqlite3 support.

> I have installed matplotlib and can run ipython --pylab with success.
> I want to be able to try out the notebook option, but again there seem
> to be things uninstalled standing in the way.  I leanrned that tornado
> needs to be installed, so did that. However, afterwards when running
> ipython notebook --profile=sympy I learned that apparently zmq is not
> installed. So I did an easy_install of that but was told no modules by
> that name were found. Is zmq part of something else?

The best thing is to ask on the IPython mailinglist. THe IPython
notebook has quite a few dependencies. I put it into Qsnake:
http://qsnake.com/, that will install all the packages on your
computer (without needing a root access) into a simple directory, and
the IPython notebook works just fine in there. It took me quite a
while to figure out the exact versions of packages that are needed to
make it work though.

Ondrej