I'm looking to use the physics.mechanics module to get the equations
of motions for a double pendulum actuated at the center joint, and get
the linearized dynamics about certain points. I know that this can be
done using the Lagrangian, but I'd like to try to use the mechanics
module.

I see the examples here [1] but I am having trouble applying that to
the double pendulum. I have only an introductory classical mechanics
background, so I'm hoping that the mechanics module will let me
assemble a dynamical system, impose some constraints, and then
generate the equations of motion.

Thanks,
Gustavo

[1] http://docs.sympy.org/dev/modules/physics/mechanics/examples.html