I am the author of elementwise (http://packages.python.org/
elementwise/) and constraints (http://packages.python.org/
constraintslib/).  These tools are similar to SymPy in their use of
symbolic proxy objects to represent values that may be provided later
(and to some degree in their target audience).

I'm getting in touch because:

1.) I'd like to get people on board with the idea of a standard symbol
proxy.  The general case is basically doing anything with a symbol
returns another symbol representing the resulting expression.  While
you do this to some degree now, the way in which you've gone about it
only allows you to use functions that return a wrapper object (Add,
Pow, etc).  Anyone that wants to interact SymPy has to take and return
these objects.  A much better scenario is to have and symbolic
expressions that can be realized down to normal python code (and which
can be generated in a general manner from ASTs).    This gives you
full interoperability with regular Python code.

2.) I noticed that a type system was on your roadmap.  Given a
solution can be achieved for #1, I feel this has broad applicability
to the community.  This also ties into your assumption architecture,
which I understand you are currently overhauling.  Ideally, your types
and assumptions should pretty much be one and the same.

I would be happy to work with you to achieve these goals.  I think
SymPy is a cool project and nothing would make me happier than being
able to help bridge the gap between performing operations on symbolic
constructs and arbitrary code.  I realize that the changes I've
proposed are non-trivial; I hope you see their value the way I do :)

Nathan Rice