I would like to read a formula from text input and than process it
further with sympy. I did not find a elegant solution for that. What
works is the following work around using an intermediate script that
is imported. I thought there might be a simpler and more elegant way.
import sympy
import string
import re
splits = '[\]\[ ()/*-=><^:]'
#the formula that might come from text file or textbox of a gui
f = 'fx = (x-2 * z)/f'
lst = re.split(splits, f)
#make temp script to be imported
f_tmp = open('sympy_symbols.py', 'w')
f_tmp.write('import sympy\n')
for s in lst:
    if s != '' and s[0] in string.letters:
        f_tmp.write('%s = sympy.Symbol("%s")\n' % (s, s))
f_tmp.write(f)
f_tmp.close()
#import temp script
from sympy_symbols import *