Hi,

I recently discovered sympy and I must say it is really great! I am
mainly interested in matrices (matrix functions)
and symbolic derivatives.

However, one thing I haven't quite understood yet: What is sympy's
relatation to numpy?

Sympy has some support for numpy arrays. But is it in general a good
idea to use numpy.array instead of sympy.Matrix? Ideally I'd like to
define some matrix function which I can use then for numerical as well
as symbolic calculations. As far as I understand, Sympy has also some
numerical computation capabilities. So, is it actually a good idea to
use numpy in conjunction with sympy? Or should I better stick to pure
sympy? I found out there is also mpmath. Should I use this instead? Of
course, there are probably good arguments for all three choices. But,
it would be really great to hear some thoughts/arguments from you
guys.

Thanks a lot,
Hauke