On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 10:28 PM, Bharath M R <catchmrbhar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>     I had previously expressed my desire to work on gamma.sympy.org parser.
> After the
> discussion in the group I realized I don't have the required expertise to
> write the parser which would
> satisfy the requirements. So I am changing the ideas for my GSOC proposal.
>
> 1) Support SVGFig for plotting on Google App Engine.
> SVGFig is completely written in python and can be run on Google App Engine.
> If we add the
> backend for plotting in SVGfig then we would be able to plot in sympy Live.
> I would like to
> implement the plotting backend for SVGfig and then integrate with sympy
> Live.

What about using the Google Chart's API, which is built-in to the App Engine.

> 2) Plotting module for ASCII plots.
> The idea of having a basic plotting module without any dependencies would be
> great.
> Ascii plotting will be also nice for people working on ipython so that they
> can see their
> results quickly. Both GNUPlot and Matplotlib provide this functionality. I
> would like to
> write the whole module so that there is no dependency.

I think it's useful, though not as important as matplotlib obviously.
I often find myself in an environment where it could be useful.  If
you just want the basic idea of a plot in 2d, an ascii plot is often
enough.  I wouldn't devote too much of the proposal to it, though.