On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 3:41 PM, Kristen Mills
<kris...@kristen-mills.com> wrote:

> On Saturday, March 24, 2012 5:27:37 PM UTC-4, Aaron Meurer wrote:

>> > Sympy already has support for much that is covered in 2nd year
>> > Calculus (ODEs, transform calculus and a reasonably good integrator)
>> >
>> > Vector calculus is still required as is a more complete PDE solver.
>>
>> You could also make a project out of further improving the ODE solver.
>>  It can already solve most types of ODEs taught in a first level
>> course, but there are tons of ODE solving methods that are not yet
>> implemented..
>
> Initial I was thinking vector calculus mostly. I was hoping to definitely
> add some of the basic operators (curl, divergence, laplacian, gradient). I
> would also to like to try to make some progress on integration of
> vectors. But now that you have mentioned the ODE solver, I also think
> improving the that would be an interesting project to undertake.

Take a look at sympy/solvers/ode.py to see what's already implemented.
 Search the issue tracker for some ideas on how it can be improved.
Also, we now have a ton of special functions in SymPy that are defined
by ODEs, and it would be nice to implement solvers for them.  There
was a paper mentioned on some other thread on this list about this
too.  You can also look at more general algorithms for solving ODEs
like ones involving Lie groups (see the ideas page).

Aaron Meurer