> 1. create a new method for testing  the antisymmetry of a matrix: new "
> is_anti_symmetric() " method

This sounds good to me.

> 2. create a new  method for calculating the symbolic determinant using LU
> decomposition: new "det_lu_decomposition() "  method

This also sounds good to me. Is anyone familiar with symbolic methods to
compute the determinant? There are a couple floating around in matrices.py.
Comer's LU decomposition method seems to be quite fast for the couple
simple matrices I've tried. When is one method preferable to another?

> 3. create a new  method for calculating the dual of a square matrix: new
> "dual_matrix" method

Can you define dual matrix?

> If this is ok, I would appreciate some guidance on doing this, as I have
> not done it before.

This wiki page is an excellent starting point
https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/Development-workflow#wiki-workflow-process

When you get stuck with that I would suggest the IRC
channel<irc://irc.freenode.net/sympy>.
I suspect about half of the conversation on there at this point must be
about using git and github.