On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 6:12 AM, Tom Bachmann <e_mc...@web.de> wrote:
> Note also that, for computing with residues, you don't need a precise list
> of the poles, just a *superset*.

This reminds me of another point.  Aside from symbolic parameters
changing the contour needed for convergence, it can also change where
the poles are.  For example, if you end up with a contour around the
unit circle, and one of your poles is a*I, then answer will depend on
|a| (whether it is < or > than 1).  You need to consider how to
express this for multiple parameters, and for potentially more
complicated contours.

Aaron Meurer

> Just as you don't need precise knowledge of
> the growth of the function, just an upper bound (although here you probably
> want to be tighter). So it might be best to look at all parts of an
> expression in turn to determine the poles (i.e. recursively apply poles(f+g)
> = poles(f) union poles(g), same for multiplication etc.)

I think if you use solve(1/expr) to find the poles, then solve will do
this for you (addition and multiplication will both become
multiplication in that case, and solve already splits apart
expressions into multiplicative factors).  Chris can correct me if I'm
wrong.

Of course, if you're trying to be rigorous and only allow specific
forms that you know you can find all the roots for, you will have to
be more careful.  It will probably be best to implement that in solve,
though.

Aaron Meurer