On 31.03.2012 14:02, Ashwini Oruganti wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My proposal can be found on the SymPy wiki at :
>
> https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/GSoC-2012-Application-Ashwini-Oruganti:-Step-by-Step-Expression-Manipulation
>
> Can you please review the same and provide feedback?
>

> Thanks and Regards,
>
> Ashwini Oruganti

1. As I understand,  there are two main parts of your application:

   a) informational: to inform what SymPy do by steps,
   b) control: manage with those steps.

(exclusive of interface design)

I think that those tasks must be clearly separated by the aims
(nevertheless they are have the same base, an one of them use the other).

2. We must think how it can be embedded into SymPy, and easy maintain
synchronization with changed code.

As I understand you are going to create the set of rules (Data
Structure) as the central part.

If the algorythm of the solve function (integrate|simplify|...) is
updated we must to make adjustments to the rules too.

The typical function:

    solve(expr):
        try to solve by method1
             try simplify
             try sub_method_1
        if ok:
           return
        if failed:
           try to solve by method2

What is the DataSet for this example?

I think, Most likely it will follow much of the code.

May be to think how will the "rules" be created automatically? E.g. with
the help of  statements embeded in the code like e.g.
'steps.push('info')" "cancel_transaction" functions?

For the task (a) it can help to maintain the actuality of steps with
respect to the present code. And even if the one of steps description
will be missed the code (of step-by-step manipulation module) doesn't crash.

For the task(b) this way must be changed somehow, but the task (b) can
use the information collected in task (a).

--
Alexey Gudchenko