On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 4:23 AM, Gaurav Sathe <gaurav.sath...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, David,
>
> On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 4:14 PM, David Joyner <wdjoy...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 5:28 AM, Gaurav Sathe <gaurav.sath...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > PFA my proposal for GSOC 2012 for the topic Group Theory . I would
>> > really
>> > appreciate any suggestions and changes from the community which would
>> > improve the proposal.
>> >
>> > Please let me know .
>>
>> What concrete classes of groups do you have experience with in your
>> studies?
>>
>    I have mainly studied abelian groups and permutation groups,
>    I do have a general idea about Matrix groups also.
>    However I would like to implement mainly the abstract group as I have a
> better command over it.
>
>    How I plan to implement it is as follows:
>    There will be a main Group class.
>    Each group object will have a number of methods like finding
> identity,inverse, order of element, order of group, determining abelian
> nature, etc

It seems to me that to do this you must have a method to enumerate all
elements of a group.
How do you plan to implement that for the class of abstract groups?

>    I also think that implementing homomorphism class is a good idea. Yes the
> homomophisms will be restricted to abelian groups since that will make the
> implementation a bit simpler.
>
>    I plan to implement homomorphisms in a way similar to how its done in
> SAGE, i.e. for multiplicative abelian groups . There will be a class for the
> set of homorphisms between G and H , i.e Hom(G,H) and the associated methods
> under this class for each homomorphism object.

How do you plan to implement to compute the kernel of a homomorphism
between two multiplicative abelian groups?

For you proposal, I think you need to be as explicit and concrete as possible.