Am 03.04.2012 20:30, schrieb Sergiu Ivanov:
Tom, I think I understand your points, but I'd still like to ask you
whether you find it acceptable to have the classes I have suggested in
SymPy?

To the critics: I'd strongly recommend proposing a better structure over just saying "this structure isn't really right".

And talking about tangible benefits when arguing where a structure is better. Saying that a structure is "more Pythonic" or "more OO" or "matches the math better" doesn't help; saying it "will allow us adding feature Foo without restructuring" or "keeps definitions and uses closer together" does. The software structure does not need to model the mathematical structure. Except, maybe, in the sense that users will find the relevant functions for a task at hand faster; however, that is just one among several desirable properties.

This discussion has gotten somewhat circular, and no single posting has addressed all points and put them into perspective. So that's my other proposal: write up all proposals, enumerate the pros and cons of each, then decide.