On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 1:22 PM, Tom Bachmann <e_mc...@web.de> wrote:

>>> Sure. But I think (possibly contrary to what I said earlier), staircase
>>> really isn't the problem. If the result is huge then the next parts
>>> (calling
>>> reduced(), solving the linear system) are going to take ages as well.
>>

>> Maybe we should run kernprof on it to see what function calls are
>> really taking up the most time.
>>

> I'm using mprofile. But it's not all that easy to decipher where the problem
> is (even from a nice graph *g*), or if there even is a real problem (an
> algorithm that suffers combinatorial explosion simply is not going to work
> with large expressions...).

What is mprofile?  I didn't find it by Googling.

I think it's useful.  This will tell us which algorithms we need to
focus on optimizing.  Even if the algorithm itself can't really be
improved, there are likely a lot of little things we can do to make
things faster.  For example, something as simple as rewriting a
recursive function non-recursively can make a huge difference
(especially if it's one in the core of the polys).  I've also found
quite often that the problem lies in some trivial inefficiency because
someone coded up a simple algorithm in a naive way.