I just visited the python.org website and found that 2.5 does not get security fixes anymore. The last release was in May 26th, 2011.

What's the policy for which Python versions SymPy should support?

Possible reasons to keep 2.5 support:

Note that it is possible to run unsafe software if you know how to keep untrusted input away from it. In other words, if we have really compelling reasons to keep 2.5 support alive, we can do so.

Possible reasons to drop 2.5 support:

See http://docs.python.org/whatsnew/2.6.html for changes between 2.5 and 2.6. For us, it's essentially a list of features that we can now freely use. (For the stuff I have been working on, making 'with' a nonoptional feature and better wrapper support would have been nice.)

Any further ideas on the issue?
Do we have an idea how many people are using SymPy with Python 2.5?