> I don't know. What I am saying is that I am willing to believe (because it is
> very very often true for most permutation groups) that all elements
> of G can be written in the form a^m1*b^n1*a^m2*b^n2*...*a^mk*b^nk,
> for some m1, ..., mk, n1, ..., nk.

Yes, that's what I see. So to generate the 31 permutations for the
dodecahedron I define a top face rotation, f0, and a front face
rotation, f1, and then, for example, face 2 rotation is equivalent to
doing f0*f1*f0**4.

> Sage or Gap or, now Sympy. ( I'm not sure if Aleksander ever
> finished correctly implementing the disjoint cycle notation. If not, Sage
> or Gap would probably be easist.)

Do you mean cyclic notation, like ((123)(465)) ?

We have that, but I think it uses the unconventional R to L rather
than L to R convention:

>>> p=Permutation
>>> p([[1,2],[0],[3]])*p([[2,3],[0],[1]]
... )
Permutation([0, 2, 3, 1])
>>> _.cyclic_form
[[1, 2, 3], [0]]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycle_notation says that the answer of
the above should be (132) not (123) (which is what SymPy gives when
the order of multiplication is reversed).

> Incidently, Jesse Douglas, who solved Plateau's problem (a problem
> in differential geometry which arose in the study of how soap film
> forms a minimal
> surface when the boundary is some closed wire loop) and got one of
> the two first Fields Medals for his work, turned to researching finite
> groups as he got older. He apparently classified the finite groups
> which do have the property mentioned in your question above.
> I think they are all published in the PNAS and on the web, but I have not read
> them. So, I think the answer to your question might follow from what
> is known theoretically from Douglas' work. I'll try to look up those papers
> as soon as I get the time and let you know.

If it's easy to put your hands on it, thanks.