Each issue falls into one of two categories, defect or enhancement.
Defects are bugs, or other kinds of issues that need to be fixed.
Enhancements are issues that describe new functionality that should be
implemented.

By the way, a good place to start is with issues that have the
EasyToFix label:
https://code.google.com/p/sympy/issues/list?&q=label%3Aeasytofix.
Those are all pretty simple to fix, and good for people just starting
to get a hold on Python, git, and SymPy's codebase.  Let us know if
you have any questions.

Aaron Meurer