So I'm gong to go ahead and say yes on this one. The fact that some stuff
already exists in the physics module says to me that this is useful.

What we should do is move everything that's not directly physics related
into a separate submodule, probably a "groups" module, which would also
house the group theory stuff that is currently living in combinatorics.
Then physics will just import that and use it, possibly modifying it if
there are physics specific details it needs to worry about.

At this point, I'd like to point you, as well as all other potential GSoC
applicants to a blog post I made a couple of years back on advice for GSoC
applicants:
http://asmeurersympy.wordpress.com/2011/04/27/advice-for-future-prospective-gsoc-students/

All the advice there is good, but for you, I particularly want to point out
number 4. It's pretty clear that you understand the math, and that is good
and you should indeed try to demonstrate that, but it's also very important
that you start to think about implementation.

So I would start thinking very specifically about what your code will look
like. In other words, now is a good time to start developing an API for
your module. The final API might not look anything like it, but this will
show us that you are indeed thinking about the implementation and not just
the mathematics. This also has the side effect of getting the community
excited about your proposal, which is always a good thing.

Also, I didn't notice a patch from you yet (correct me if I am wrong). This
is also very important, as it shows us that you actually know Python. It's
only February, so you have a pretty good head start, but it's best to use
that to your best advantage.

Aaron Meurer