On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 1:33 PM, Eduardo Cavazos <wayo.cava...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm interested in a library which can solve constant acceleration motion
> problems (i.e. problems you see in in college-level physics courses). I
> didn't see anything in the sympy.physics module that seemed to hit upon this
> directly, but maybe I missed something.
>
> Is there a library out there in the wild that someone has worked on?
>
> I've built a (very basic) symbolic library for C# and a library for solving
> these kinds of problems. Here's an example program. Here's the output when
> the program is run.
>
> I'm asking here because I'd like to review designs of similar systems.
>
> BTW, working on libraries like this *really* makes me wish there was an
> open-source implementation of something like Mathematica's Reduce. Reduce is
> based on pretty sophisticated quantifier elimination. Has there been any
> work on something like that for SymPy?

I'll let the physicists answer the physics questions, but for this, it
appears to be mostly cylindrical algebraic decomposition.  We don't
have that yet, but it is indeed something that we want to have.  It's
listed on our GSoC ideas page, so hopefully we will get a student to
implement it.

Raoul Bourquin pointed out to me on IRC that there is this
implementation for Maxima:
http://perso.univ-rennes1.fr/marie-francoise.roy/bpr-ed2-posted2.html.

The rest of Reduce is apparently solving diophantine equations, which
is also something that we currently don't have any support for, but
would like to have.

Aaron Meurer