Hi Chris,

I rebased my two-years-old branch and noticed that things changed
quite a bit, so I tried again and I think I managed to do it. Please
take a look at PR 1888 (https://github.com/sympy/sympy/pull/1888).

I was caught by surprise by the changes in Subs, now it doesn't use
dummies internally anymore. In the end, issues 2440 and 2442 were
settled in favor of always keeping the original variables and
comparing complex objects different if internal variables are
different? Also, looking at commit aac30a2ba7, I see that

Subs(f(x), x, 0).subs(x, 1).doit() == f(1)

so subs() should be interpreted as structural substitution, being able
to break mathematical consistency. Are there other ways to substitute
variables ignoring bound variables? This behavior is producing some
bugs in the code I just submitted, but they are a bit hard to detect
because they are triggered by cache (that is, they don't appear with
cache turned off).

Cheers,
Renato