Hello, my name is Benjamin Fishbein. I am currently an undergraduate
student at the University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana scheduled for a
double major in both Computer Science and Mathematics. I am very interested
in working on SymPy as it combines two of my greatest passions. I have
already published code currently being used in SymPy and hope to continue
my contribution to this program over the Summer. While exploring SymPy’s
code I observed that the matrices portion of the code was missing several
crucial functions. Many of the missing function in SymPy's matrices class
have to do with the Span of the group of vectors, however, SymPy does not
have a Span class. My proposal for a Google Summer of Code project is as
follows 1) Create a Span class capable of creating and modifying Spans. To
begin I will make a class which has very simple functionality. Here is an
example of the desired behavior of this class: x = Span([1,2,3],[4,5,6]) x
/[1] [4]\ |[2] [5] | \[3],[6]/ x.dim() 2 x.add_column(2,[7,8,9]) x /[1] [4]
[7]\ |[2] [5] [8] | \[3],[6], [9]/ x.dim() 3 y = x.basis() y /[1] [4]\ |[2]
[5] | \[3],[6]/ 2) Next, I will implement in the matrices class simple
functions which interact with the Span class. The functions I will
initially focus on would be 'image', 'kernel', 'basis image', and 'basis
kernel'. Here is an example of the desired behavior of this addition: x =
Matrix([1,2,3],[4,5,6]) y = x.image() y #Span([1,2,3],[4,5,6]) /[1] [4]\
|[2] [5] | \[3],[6]/ 3) Finally, I will spend the remainder of my time
expanding on both the Matrices and the Span class. I will add more complex
functions and improve on the existing ones. This may also involve adding
functions to other classes such as Physics and Statistics. Matrices are
essential for many crucial aspects of Physics, Computer Science,
Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology, Electrical Engineering, Industrial
Engineering and many more fields. I feel that the additions which I have
suggested will make SymPy a better resource for its users. Adding a Span
class and improving on the Matrices class will make SymPy a more dynamic
and versatile tool. Thank you for your consideration, if you have any ideas
suggestions comments or critiques I would love to hear them so I may
improve my submission.

Thank you - Ben Fishbein