I haven't looked at it in a while. How easy is it to support the more
complicated things like metaclasses with a common code base? Has
anyone compiled a list of the trickiest things to support in a common
code base? Except for the things involving strings and standard
library stuff, there's a pretty good chance we are using just about
anything that would be on such a list.

On the other hand, what are the chief benefits? Using 2to3 doesn't
seem to be that much work, especially now that we've got all the kinks
worked out. The biggest issue that I know of is that the distribution
tools are not really designed to work well with separate tarballs for
Python 2 and Python 3. We have to trick pip into doing the right thing
by uploading identical -py32 and -py33 tarballs, and there doesn't
seem to be a way to make it work at all with easy_install
(https://code.google.com/p/sympy/issues/detail?id=3511).  All the
other Python 3 issues I know of are independent of whether we use 2to3
or a unified codebase (like the inability to make Windows installers
in Python 3, see issue 1235).

Aaron Meurer