Em 11-05-2013 04:08, Angus Griffith escreveu:
The last time this was proposed [1], it was agreed that we should wait a year before proposing this again. It's been a year, what to we think?

To recap the arguments raised previously:

  * 2.5 does not get security fixes anymore. The last release for 2.5
    was in May 26th, 2011. [2]
  * We should determine if people are still using it and can't
    upgrade, since the benefits of dropping it are somewhat small.
  * Some mobile OS only have Python 2.5.x, like Maemo 4 (Nokia N8x0),
    Maemo 5 (Nokia N900) and Symbian (many smartphones), using SymPy
    on Maemo 5 OS have 100-150 thousand downloads of the last versions
    in last 4-8 months.

The third option seemed to be a major reason for keeping 2.5. However, it looks as if Sympy on Maemo 5 is no longer maintained [3], and download statistics are no longer available. Any ideas if these platforms have upgraded past 2.5 yet?

    Hi,

    About Python/SymPy on Maemo 4 & 5 :
- Maemo.org statistics are down due to change of servers, from Nokia to community Internet servers; - SymPy 0.7.2 was released to Maemo 4 and Maemo 5 but without repository release because the submit method was not available. But the .debs are here :
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=78568
- I've announced SymPy 0.7.2 for Maemo 4 & Maemo 5 & MeeGo Harmattan here in this list in 21/01/2013. - there is only Python 2.5 on Maemo 4. Official Python is v2.5 on Maemo 5, but there is also an experimental Python 2.7 from community but without many modules.

We could make 0.7.3 the last version supporting 2.5, but perhaps we could even drop it before then.

I'd also like to add that the last security patch for 2.*6 *is scheduled for October 2013. If we don't drop 2.5 we'll be supporting two versions of python that no longer get security upgrades.

[1] https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!searchin/sympy/2.5/sympy/z1H7CNkqlug/Z1aRiTwEYu4J <https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#%21searchin/sympy/2.5/sympy/z1H7CNkqlug/Z1aRiTwEYu4J>
[2] http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.5.6/
[3] http://maemo.org/downloads/product/Maemo5/python-sympy-ui/

So I agree to drop Python 2.5 support after SymPy 0.7.3. But Python 2.6 support is important, many plataforms (desktop, etc) still use it instead of Python 2.7.

        Regards,

        Roberto