I guess that your problem stems from confusing python variables and
SymPy Symbols. Creating a Symbol is not creating a variable.

You can write

x0 = Symbol('x0')

but this is just as valid as

completely_different_handle = Symbol('x0')

or

x0 = y0 = Symbol('x0')

So accessing the Symbols that you create depends on how you create
them. Are they in a list, or something else?

I guess before proceeding with SymPy these references would be useful:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11007627/python-variable-declaration
http://anh.cs.luc.edu/python/hands-on/3.1/handsonHtml/variables.html