The heuristic is in a paper on the arxiv [1] (the second heuristic, on page
10). It may be that they just meant a quotient of polynomials, but I think
it would work fine for anything that is algebraic, though I haven't tried
anything that ends up being that complex.

There is also an is_algebraic handler in the new assumptions, the logic
from there could be adapted until such a time that the new assumptions are
moved into the core.

Sean

[1] http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/9607037v1