On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 11:19 AM, Matthew Rocklin <mrock...@gmail.com> wrote:
> SciPy is a bit over a week away.  I'd like to resurrect this thread.  Here
> are some ideas for sprints that would interest me or that have come up
> recently
>
> Assumptions
> Managing auto-evaluation
> Generic, non-expr Add/Mul container classes
> Solve?
> Breaking apart giant methods (e.g. Mul.flatten) into more smaller methods
> (e.g. _eval_rewrite_foo)  (I think that this idea scales well for a sprint)
> Step-by-step evaluation (I think this is feasible once we have the above,
> possibly requiring some meta-programming magic)
> I'd also love to chat about rewrite rules and patterns - that might just be
> my own passion though :-)
> Release 7.3 (should this happen before GSoC gets into full swing?)

My preferences are (in order)

Releasing 0.7.3
Assumptions
Auto-evaluation
Solve

And seeing as the last three are pretty hard, we may just want to
focus on releasing.  That is easy. We just need to merge pull
requests, iron out bugs, and, most importantly, work on automating the
process. Even people who have never contributed to SymPy before could
help out with things like writing the release notes.

> Aaron, you seem to have an encyclopedic recall of the issue tracker.  What
> have been the commonly recurring issues over the years?  Can you make a list
> for us to look over?

Hmm, I'm not sure. My encyclopedic knowledge is optimized for
remembering specific issues. I can't remember general trends. I know
of a few, but they are mainly the ones that are interesting to me
(like issues with integrate()).

> Also, there is the possibility of having a low-latency high-level meeting
> about some issues.  Not a sprint, more of the opposite.  Here are some vague
> thoughts
>
> Money: How should we use our money?   Should we get more money?  Apply for a
> grant?  What would we do if we got it?
> Direction:  Does anyone have any big ideas about how SymPy should evolve in
> the future?  Lets write a new roadmap.
> Publications:  I could work on SymPy a lot more if I could justify it from
> an academic point of view.  I think many of us are in similar positions.
> How can the community support this?
> What's the plan for SymPy Live? (I notice that David Li will be attending)

There will be plenty of opportunities to talk throughout the
conference. There are also BoFs. We can see about organizing a SymPy
one.  I agree about talking about all these things. I've CCd Andy
Terrel, who is a long time SymPy community member and also a chair of
the conference.

By the way, on a slightly related topic, if anyone wants to help out
or give feedback on the tutorial Ondrej and I will be giving at SciPy,
just ping me. I will be working on it all weekend.  We're still
fleshing out some details (like how we plan to actually present the
material), so feedback is welcome.

Aaron Meurer