Hello.

I working on some bezier-related algorithms and need to be able to
provide the curvature of a bezier at any queried point. Now when cubic
beziers have cusps, their curvature is infinite. However the infinity
can be positive or negative. The question is how to find out the sign
of this infinity.

Now it is a fundamental property of cusps that the sign of curvature
on either side of the cusp is the same, so it stands to reason that if
the curvature sign on the sides is positive then the curvature at the
cusp is positive infinity and likewise for negative. So one method to
find the sign of the infinity is to evaluate the sign at a nearby
point. However I'd like to do it analytically.

As the attached SymPy script demonstrates, it is possible to evaluate
the limit of the curvature and determine whether the infinity is
positive or negative. However, L'Hopital's rule seems to fail. What is
the method by which SymPy arrives at this result?

Thank you!

--
Shriramana Sharma ஶ்ரீரமணஶர்மா श्रीरमणशर्मा